A Sense of Place
25 August - 17 September 2016
In this solo exhibition at the Quadrant Gallery, my adopted city of Melbourne where I have lived for over fifty years is evolving not only demographically but also physically. New buildings are erected, old buildings are demolished, some are iconic and have a story to tell. That's when I come in and show that story and give some sense to that landscape.
I work from sketches done on site, photographs and preliminary studies. I research the significance of the building, how it is placed in its immediate surrounding and then I place a solitary figure to give a sense of place. These figures are neither bitter nor ironic. Instead they are comfortable in their place.
I am now progressing towards a personal style. And I see it is evolving perfectly and I like it. The city of Melbourne will be my inspiration for many years to come.
Aldo Bellemo, 2016.
Limited Edition Giclee Prints on 310 gsm archival paper (edition of 10)
- born in Chioggia (Venezia) Italy
- lived and completed studies to a high school certificate equivalent in Italy
- migrated to Australia in 1964
- started the Architectural drafting course at RMIT in 1965 and completed in 1969
- started the Architecture course at RMIT in 1969 and completed in 1974
- registered as an Architect in 1975
- became a RAIA member in1975
- worked as a registered Architect till 2005
- taught concurrently Building Design at the Box Hill TAFE college
- I retired from practice in 2005
EXHIBITIONS and AWARDS
1- late 70s. Numerous "The Age"-RAIA Citation Awards from the Victorian Chapter.
2- 1987. Solo exhibition of Phillip Island pastel works at Wyreena Gallery,Croydon
3- 1988. Group Exhibition in Chioggia, Italy
4- 1989. Solo exhibition at Casareccia, Carlton.
5- 1990. Solo exhibition at CO. AS. IT.
6- 2001. Solo exhibition titled "Blooming Nudes" at the Hut Ferntree gully
7- 2006. Solo exhibition titled" Painting from Nature" at the Hut Ferntree Gully
8- 2012. Winner of the Annual Jack Montgomery Award at Sherbrook Gallery
9- 2015. Best on show prize for acrylic and oil at Emerald Art Society
10- Won prizes and awards for commended, highly commended, and other
commendations in many group shows.