A Sense of Place
25 August - 17 September 2016
In this solo exhibition at the Quadrant Gallery, my adopted city of Melbourne where I have lived for over fifty years is evolving not only demographically but also physically. New buildings are erected, old buildings are demolished, some are iconic and have a story to tell. That's when I come in and show that story and give some sense to that landscape.
I work from sketches done on site, photographs and preliminary studies. I research the significance of the building, how it is placed in its immediate surrounding and then I place a solitary figure to give a sense of place. These figures are neither bitter nor ironic. Instead they are comfortable in their place.
I am now progressing towards a personal style. And I see it is evolving perfectly and I like it. The city of Melbourne will be my inspiration for many years to come.
Aldo Bellemo, 2016.
Limited Edition Giclee Prints on 310 gsm archival paper (edition of 10)
Prices shown were current at the time of the exhibition.
While every effort is made to keep this exhibition webpage up to date,
please contact the gallery to check the availability and current pricing of artworks.
- born in Chioggia (Venezia) Italy
- lived and completed studies to a high school certificate equivalent in Italy
- migrated to Australia in 1964
- started the Architectural drafting course at RMIT in 1965 and completed in 1969
- started the Architecture course at RMIT in 1969 and completed in 1974
- registered as an Architect in 1975
- became a RAIA member in1975
- worked as a registered Architect till 2005
- taught concurrently Building Design at the Box Hill TAFE college
- I retired from practice in 2005
EXHIBITIONS and AWARDS
1- late 70s. Numerous "The Age"-RAIA Citation Awards from the Victorian Chapter.
2- 1987. Solo exhibition of Phillip Island pastel works at Wyreena Gallery,Croydon
3- 1988. Group Exhibition in Chioggia, Italy
4- 1989. Solo exhibition at Casareccia, Carlton.
5- 1990. Solo exhibition at CO. AS. IT.
6- 2001. Solo exhibition titled "Blooming Nudes" at the Hut Ferntree gully
7- 2006. Solo exhibition titled" Painting from Nature" at the Hut Ferntree Gully
8- 2012. Winner of the Annual Jack Montgomery Award at Sherbrook Gallery
9- 2015. Best on show prize for acrylic and oil at Emerald Art Society
10- Won prizes and awards for commended, highly commended, and other
commendations in many group shows.